Storing your jewelry properly is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to make sure you get the most out of your collection. It keeps your jewelry ready to wear and in good condition, and it allows you to easily access your collection so you can pick out the perfect jewelry to pair with each outfit. Here are a few of our top tips for storing your jewelry, whether you wear it on a daily basis or keep it safely tucked away for special occasions.
- Purge your jewelry collection. Before you determine the best way to store your jewelry, take stock of your collection and be realistic about what you really want to keep and wear. Set aside any broken jewelry to either be thrown out or repaired and consider donating gently used jewelry you don’t wear anymore to a local women’s shelter or passing it on to a friend. You could also sell your extra jewelry or even redesign outdated favorites with our custom jewelry design services!
- Separate your jewelry by types of metals. When different metals make contact and interact with each other, tarnishing can occur. Sorting and storing your jewelry by types of metals is an easy step you can take to cut down on the risk of tarnishing and scratching. You should also try to keep fine jewelry and costume jewelry stored separately to avoid tarnishing. An easy way to identify fine jewelry is by determining what kind of metal it’s made out of and whether or not it has genuine gemstones.
- Clean and dry your fine jewelry before storing it. If you want to avoid having to deal with tarnishing, get ahead of the problem by properly cleaning and thoroughly drying your fine jewelry before it goes into storage. You can purchase a specialized jewelry cleaner, or you can mix up a simple solution of dish soap and warm water. Just make sure that you gently pat the jewelry dry with a lint-free cloth and go over it with a polishing cloth after cleaning it. This will cut down on the presence of moisture, which will prevent tarnishing.
- Store your fine jewelry in a cool, dark place. As mentioned previously, moisture is a major culprit when it comes to tarnishing jewelry. If you add heat to the mix, you have a humid environment that could really damage your jewelry collection. Regardless of the storage method you choose for your jewelry, make sure that the jewelry is stored in a cool, dark location.
- Use hooks and trays to display and store costume jewelry. Once your collection is narrowed down and categorized, use hooks and trays to store your everyday costume jewelry where you can easily see and access it. Hooks are great options for keeping necklaces and bracelets untangled, and trays are perfect for holding everything from rings to earrings.
Options for Storing Your Jewelry
Depending on the size of your jewelry collection and the type of jewelry you’re storing, you have several different jewelry storage options. Here are just a few:
- Jewelry boxes are great storage solutions because they keep your jewelry tucked away in a cool and dark place, which prevents tarnishing. Some jewelry boxes feature drawers and compartments to keep your jewelry organized, along with soft linings of velvet or silk to keep your jewelry from getting scratched.
- Jewelry armoires are excellent for anyone with a large collection of jewelry since they typically have lots of drawers and compartments for organizing. Many even come with extra features like hooks for your necklaces and secret compartments for your most valuable jewelry.
- Jewelry pouches are handy storage options if you’re traveling with some or all of your collection and you want to avoid tangling or scratching. These pouches are typically made with soft materials that will protect your jewelry, and they’re portable and lightweight.
Let Isbell Jewelers Add to Your Collection
If you’ve organized and stored your jewelry and noticed there are some gaps, don’t worry! We specialize in custom jewelry design here at Isbell Jewelers, and we would love to walk you through the process of creating a unique design that perfectly matches your style and fits right in with your collection.